Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Monthly Friday Night Supper Club

Last week, I had a couple of girlfriends over for dinner. Once a month, we get together on a Friday night and either try a new restaurant we haven't been to before here in St. John's, or one of us cooks a meal for the other two, while someone else brings a bottle of wine and the other a dessert. We call it our Monthly Friday Night Supper Club. (I like to name things. It's a thing.)

This past week, I made my favourite pasta dish for them. I've written about this dish before - infact, it was the first Transatlantic Tastes dish N and I did. This simple cherry tomato, balsamic vinegar pasta dish is so delicious and so easy, it's my go-to meal when I'm tired of stir fry and still want to have something nice and home cooked that's an upgrade from Kraft Dinner or Chef Boyardee Ravioli. (Don't get me wrong, I like a bitta KD every once in a while, but....come on. And as for Ravioli...well, it brings me back to my childhood. I eat it once in a blue moon.)

Anyway, this really is a simple dish, and it's great for a weeknight when you don't want to have to put a lot of effort into dinner, but on the flip side, if you want to have something tasty and impressive looking for a little dinner party, it works really well. You can find the recipe here in Jamie Oliver's cookbook, or you can take a look at my earlier Transatlantic Tastes post about it, so can try this dish for yourself!

I always have a good time when I get together with these two ladies - we met in university at different points; one I studied abroad with and the other I did several English and Religious Studies courses with, until the three of us were all in the same English grammar course. We formed a study group and from that came a real friendship. We lost touch over the last few years, with travelling and studying abroad in different places, but we reconnected this past January and have had a great time catching up. I've said it before numerous times, but one of my favourite things is catching up with an old friend and finding how what's been happening in their life.

I'm looking forward to our next Friday Night Supper Club, and I know the girls are as well. Here's to food and friendship!


Mmmmm, pasta. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment