Saturday, November 24, 2012

Big City versus Small City

I don't think anyone would be surprised to hear that life in Toronto is a lot different than life in St. John's. While they may be in the same country, they really couldn't be more different.

Toronto is face-paced, energetic, lively, loud, there's always something to do, the best concerts come to town, movies and television shows are filmed there every day...it offers so much that a small city like St. John's never could.


St. John's, on the other hand, is slower, a little more easy-going, more quiet, and while you won't see it everywhere, you will more often then not get the ol' "wave and nod" while driving past some folks walking down the sidewalk. While there's not as much craziness happening like in Toronto, it certainly does have its charms, that's for sure.


When I first moved to Toronto, I didn't like it very much. I found the people unfriendly and the city big and harsh. It took a while for me to get used to it, but when I finally found "my" Toronto - the little life that I created and built up around me in this massive metropolis - I loved it. I loved going to my regular haunts, I loved riding the subway and walking along Bay Street being surrounded by towering buildings and the sounds of busy traffic. I became more familiar and more comfortable in such a large place, and I was sad when I left.

When I think about it, I really can't choose which place I prefer. Sometimes I lean more towards a quieter life in St. John's, still fun and exciting, but not the same way Toronto is. Other times, I crave the hectic, loud craziness of Toronto, and miss it fiercely. I might be in Newfoundland now, but I wouldn't rule out another stint in the T Dot in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment