Friday, November 2, 2012

The Book Club

At the beginning of the year, I mentioned that one of the things I would like to do in 2012 is read more. One great way to accomplish this was to join a book club, and as luck would have it, one of my friends decided to start one.

I never thought I would be someone who would enjoy being in a book club, but the past 10 months spending time with and getting to know the other women in the group has been really great. We've all said that book club is something we look forward to every month, not just to read a new book each month, but to catch up with one another and see how we're all doing. I feel like I've gained a whole bunch of new friends!

It's also a great opportunity to read some books that you may never have picked up if not for being in a book club. We've covered a wide range of books; some fiction, some biographies, some an easy, light hearted read, others a bit darker and move heavy. We haven't liked all the books we've read, but even that gives us something to discuss - what we loved or didn't like about each story.

Our most recent read was The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. It was an easy read and I found it really pulled me in, so much so that I hated having to put it down at night when it was time to go to bed. A tale of three sisters who had grown apart early in life, they all make their way back to their childhood home at the same time. It was an interesting look at the relationships between sisters, something that I've never really experienced, only having an older brother. If you have a sister or sisters, it might be a neat book for you to try.

Next on our list is Bossy Pants, Tina Fey's autobiography. I'm really looking forward to starting this as I think Tina Fey is hilarious and can't wait to see what she has to say about her life.

I'll post an update again soon on some of the other books we've read in book club. Until then, why not try a new book yourself? You never know what you'll enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment